Code of Conduct
It is the intent of the board of trustees of the Lorain Public Library to make the library a place for learning and recreation for all citizens of the library service area. It is the responsibility of the trustees to provide a pleasant, orderly facility conducive to effective use of library services and materials.
The administration has the responsibility of assuring a pleasant experience for all library users. To meet this responsibility, the library staff will identify behavior that infringes on the rights of other patrons or staff and/or threatens the safety of library property. The library staff and/or security personnel will then deal with the behavior according to the guidelines in the routines for this policy.
These rules have been adopted to ensure the comfort and protection of all those using library materials and services.
The following types of disruptive behavior interfere with an atmosphere conducive to effective use of library materials and services. Continued violations may result in a temporary or permanent expulsion from the library and/or loss of library privileges. The Library CEO and other Library staff are authorized to determine what constitutes disruptive behavior.
They may include, but are not limited to:
- Noise (including radios and ringing/musical tones played by cell phones) or loud talking which interferes with the rights of others
- Using profane, obscene or abusive language
- Making racial, ethnic, religious, gender or sexual orientation epithets
- Harassing patrons or staff, including without limitation deliberate or repeated behavior that is intimidating, hostile and/or offensive, or that adversely impacts staff work performance or patron use of the Library.
- Physical abuse, assault, fighting or challenging someone to fight
- Running in the building
- Misuse of library furnishings, restroom facilities, materials or equipment
- Loitering, congregating on or around entrances/exits, stairways or any other library property in a manner that blocks easy access to the library’s facilities for other patrons or the staff
- Entering unauthorized workspaces or work areas or other non-public areas.
- Taking photographs and/or recording videos of Library staff or patrons without their permission
- Possessing weapons of any kind, either concealed or in plain view, in the Library, unless the person in possession of the weapon is a law enforcement officer.
- Failure to adhere to library Internet Access guidelines and procedures
- Violating other Library policies and/or guidelines
- Violating federal, state and/or local laws
- Engaging in other acts disruptive to patrons and staff
- Library staff and/or security personnel may limit the number of people seated in a given area or at any one table.
- Children ages 6 and under should be accompanied by a caregiver who will maintain responsibility for children under their care while in the library. Library staff cannot be responsible for unattended children of any age.
Assistance animals, or assistance animals in training accompanied by a trainer, will be the only animals permitted in the library unless authorized in advance by a Branch Manager or Main Library Manager, after approval of the Library CEO or Library COO.
In order to keep books, materials and furnishings in good order, eating is only permitted in designated areas of the library during designated times and at meetings or during special library programs when so designated by the sponsor and approved by the library.
Appropriate clothing including shoes is required.
*An expulsion can be appealed to the library director. A permanent expulsion may be appealed to the Lorain Public Library System board of trustees.
Policy revised by Board of Trustees Jan 16, 2020