For Job Seekers
Resume and Cover Letter ResourcesResume.com
Build a professional resume backed by research with hundreds of employers. Easily print, download and share your resume instantly with Indeed to easily apply for jobs.Grow with Google – Applied Digital Skills
Utilize Google’s Applied Digital Skills platform to access instructional videos for resume writing and learn how to write your resume.Cultivated Culture
Offers resume templates that incorporate thousands of data points from real recruiters and hiring managers at the world’s best companies—includes Amazon, Facebook, Google and Twitter. These companies worked with Cultivated Culture to design templates that would help you get past the resumeCareer One Stop
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, this guide includes sections on resumes, cover letters and interviewing. It can help you write your first resume or analyze the effectiveness of your current one.Career Services at Lorain County Community College
Do you need to prepare for your job search? LCCC Career Services offers job search resources that will allow you to craft a personalized plan for success – to secure your dream career. You can find resume writing tips, cover letter writing tips, networking and social media strategies, job interview preparation tools, job negotiating tips, information about helpful workshops and events to boost your resume and skills. Career experts are available to help you identify your career path, prepare you for job search, and help you land the job that’s right for you. Call today at (440) 366-4076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.Ohio Means Jobs
Once you register for a free account, you’ll be able to create an employment plan, save jobs, build a resume, and more.
Job Search ResourcesCareer Builder
Search for a job, post a resume, read articles on working life, and peruse the list of employment agencies.Google Job Search
Google’s job search engine pulls listings from all major job board websites, like Career Builder, LinkedIn, Indeed, etc. You can also search directly from Google by typing “jobs near me” and specifying by type of job you’re looking for.Careers.Ohio.Gov
Search and apply for openings with State of Ohio agencies, boards and commissions as well as the offices of state-wide elected officials.Glassdoor
A search engine for jobs that allows you to read anonymous reviews and salaries from current and former employeesIndeed.com
A search engine for jobs. It provides job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages. It also includes information on job market competition, industry employment trends and job trends.LinkedIn
LinkedIn is an interconnected network of experienced professionals from around the world, representing 170 industries and 200 countries. You can find, be introduced to, and collaborate with qualified professionals that you need to work with to accomplish your goals.Monster
Worldwide access for all levels in all fields. Search for jobs, post a resume, open your own career management account, and research a featured company.Net-Temps
Net-Temps is a job board for temporary, temp-to-perm and full-time employment through the staffing industry. Membership with Net-Temps is free for jobseekers. Users can search from thousands of new job postings, create a free Job Search Assistant to help find their next job.USAJOBS
The Federal Government’s official employment Search and apply for federal jobs. Learn about unique hiring paths for veterans, students and graduates, individuals with a disability, and more.
Interview ResourcesCareer Services at Lorain County Community College
Do you need to prepare for your job search? LCCC Career Services offers job search resources that will allow you to craft a personalized plan for success – to secure your dream career. Career experts are available to help you identify your career path, prepare you for job search, and help you land the job that’s right for you. Call today at (440) 366-4076 or email email@example.com to make an appointment.Dress for Success
Cleveland’s Dess for Success support your job search process with virtual mock interviews, online career development workshops and access to online training modules to enhance your skills! Call our Client Services Coordinator, Karen Bridges-Draper at 440-552-8802 or email us at DFSC@dressforsuccesscleveland.org.Ohio Means Jobs
OhioMeansJobs offers you a fun and easy way to practice and fine tune your interview skills. Whether you're new to the job market or an experienced professional, we can help you land the right job with a powerful combination of video tutorials and virtual interview practice.United Way's Collect > Sort > Deliver Impact Initiative
An additional resource available for local job seekers is via the United Way’s Collect > Sort > Deliver Impact Initiative through which they distribute attire that would be appropriate to wear to an interview. Whether you are looking for just a pair of pants or an entire outfit, they have clothes and shoes in various sizes and colors for both men and women. The Lorain Public Library System is proud to partner with United Way on this initiative.
To see a sample list of currently available inventory, click here. If you are looking for a size that isn’t listed, please inquire and we can check availability. Once you choose, request and pick up the clothes from either the Main Library or South Lorain Branch, they are yours to keep.
Skill Building ResourcesGoogle’s Grow with Google digital skills program.
Offers a wide range of highly interactive, instructor-led courses that you can take entirely online. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month.KnowledgeCity
Provides in-demand training for business, computer, safety, compliance, and finance, crafted by industry experts and college professors from around the world. Each course provides a skills test and certificate of completion. Receive unlimited access to KnowledgeCity using your library card. KnowledgeCity’s service is available in both English and Spanish.Lynda.com
Learn business, technology, and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals using these free video courses on the latest software, taught by industry experts. Online videos are available for Developer, IT, Business, Marketing, Photography, 3D + Animation, Video, Web, and more. Both in-library and remote users must enter their library card number and PIN to access Lynda.com.Ohio Means Jobs Assessment & Training
Ohio’s free, online career counseling center that connects businesses to job seekers and provides career services to all Ohioans. Access job assessments and the Learning Express to take online courses for job skills, GED, ACT, citizenship, and career test prep such as civil service, air traffic control, allied health and more.Occupational Outlook Handbook
The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives. The Handbook describes what workers do on the job, working conditions, the training and education needed, earnings and expected job prospects in a wide range of occupations.
Benefits NavigatorLorain County Job and Family Services
Learn about the cash, food and medical assistance offered by Lorain County Job and Family Services.Ohio Benefits Eligibility Assessment
This online self-assessment is a quick and easy way to find out if you or your household qualifies for low or no cost health care, help paying Medicare premiums, SNAP (formerly known as food assistance or food stamps) or Cash Assistance. Simply a few short questions. If your assessment indicates that you may qualify, you’ll be able to start your application process.Ohio Legal Help
Provides free information on common legal issues, details about court and other legal forms and referrals to legal aid and bar association referral programs.Ohio-Based Employment Programs
Search countless Ohio employment programs to help you get the training, experience and connections you need to succeed.Ohio Means Jobs Scholarship Finder
Use this simple online form to search over 1.5 million scholarships.Unemployment Benefits
The fastest and easiest way file for unemployment benefits. You can file 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.United Way: First Call for Help
In an effort to increase access to a wide range of health and human services, United Way Services' First Call For Help (FCFH) has developed a web based version of its "Reference" database.
COVID-19 Financial & Employment ResourcesFinancial Help for Consumers
Were you laid off or furloughed because of coronavirus? Know your unemployment benefits. Get information from the Ohio Department of Job & Family Services - Coronavirus & Unemployment Resources Hub. Step-by-Step Guide to Filing for Unemployment.
https://unemploymenthelp.ohio.gov/ (PDF document)
The U.S. Consumer Finance Protection Bureau offers help on protecting your finances during the COVID-19 pandemic. Find information on home mortgage loan assistance, help for federal student loan borrowers, and COVID-19 scam avoidance tips.
Benefits.gov The official benefits website of the U.S. government.
COVID-19 Financial Resources - United Way of Lorain County Links to help from federal, state and county agencies.
You can also call the United Way of Lorain County Lorain County 2-1-1 service (available 24/7) for assistance in English and Spanish at 2-1-1 or 1-800-275-6106. Want to know when you will receive your economic income payment (AKA economic stimulus) from the United States government?
The Lorain County Community Action Agency has moved its Getting Ahead financial education program online. For eligibility information and to enroll, contact Amy Steele at LCCAA: 440-204-3121 or 1-800-245-2009 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio Means Jobs Lorain County staff are available to assist job-seekers at 440-324-5244.
Lorain County Community College Career Services offers all Lorain County residents virtual job search workshops and live chat assistance with career-related concerns. https://www.collegecentral.com/lorainccc/Community.cfm#events
Use the Indeed.com online resume builder to create a resume that can be downloaded to a flash drive or uploaded to the Indeed.com job search website.
Monster.com offers tips on searching for a job during the coronavirus pandemic.
To brush up on your job skills, check out the training options offered to all Lorain Public Library System cardholders on our e-resources page. (Don't have a library card? Apply for an e-card here to access all our e-resources).
- Learn business, technology and creative skills via the video courses offered through Lynda.com and KnowledgeCity.
- Gale Courses offers instructor-led courses for those seeking to improve their business and computer skills.
Business ResourcesCoronavirus (COVID-19): Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
Information from the U.S. Small Business Administration on financial relief options and recovery assistance for small business.Ohio Small Business Development Center – Lorain County
Offers webinars on small business-related topics, including business startup and business planning in the COVID-19 economy.Ohio Development Services Agency - Office of Small Business Relief
Provide direct support to the state's nearly 950,000 small businesses during the current public health crisis.Greater Cleveland SCORE
Free advice and mentoring services for small business owners from current and retired business professionals. Sessions conducted by videoconference, text and telephone.
Check Out These Lynda.com Tech Courses!
Lynda.com - Learn business, technology and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals using these free video courses on the latest software, taught by industry experts. Online videos are available for Developer, IT, Business, Marketing, Photography, 3D + Animation, Video, Web and more. Both in-library and remote users must enter their library card number and PIN to access.
- Help Yourself: Tech Tips - Learn how to solve common IT issues on your own. This collection of hardware, software and networking troubleshooting tips helps Windows users help themselves.
- Gmail Essential Training - Join instructor Jess Stratton for an in-depth exploration of how to use Gmail, the free email service developed by Google.
- Learning Cloud Computing: Public Cloud Platforms - Explore the services offered by leading public cloud platforms: Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform and Alibaba Cloud.
- Learning OneDrive - Learn about how to store and share files with OneDrive, the cloud storage service from Microsoft.
- Learning Skype - Learn how to use Skype from this course covering setup, configuration, audio conferencing, video conferencing, screen sharing and instant messaging for home, work and school.
- Learning Zoom - Learn how to schedule, moderate and participate in meetings using Zoom, the popular video conferencing tool.
- Programming Foundations: Fundamentals - Prepare to learn the fundamental concepts, practices and terminology of programming in this introductory course.
- Learning Python - Get started with Python, the popular and highly readable object-oriented language.
Check Out These KnowledgeCity Tech Courses!
KnowledgeCity - Courses can be accessed anywhere, anytime. Each course provides a skills test and certificate of completion. Follow the link to KnowledgeCity from the library’s website, log in using your library card and start learning. Available in both English and Spanish.
- Windows 10 - Learn how to navigate the Windows 10 operating system.
- Cybersecurity - Learn how to secure your electronic data.
- Microsoft Outlook 365 Beginner - Learn the basics of this program for email, contact and scheduling management Intermediate course also available.
- C++ Programming Introduction - Discover how C++ uses the basic structures of programming and learn how to create objects with attributes and behaviors to get tasks done. Advanced course also available.
- Java Programming - Explore the basics of the Java language and learn how to utilize tools (such as Integrated Development Environments) to simplify the programming process.
- Facebook for Business - This course walks you through the process of creating your business page and how to use it to increase product exposure and improve sales.
- LinkedIn for Business - LinkedIn sets itself apart from its peers in the social networking space with its direct focus on business. This course covers the advantages of groups and subgroups as well as how to properly engage in discussions.
- Twitter for Business - Twitter gives your business a voice and a chance to interact with customers in real time. This online training program teaches you how to harness this vast social network to help your business.
Check Out These Gale Tech Courses!
Gale Courses offers a wide range of highly interactive, instructor-led courses that you can take entirely online. Courses run for six weeks and new sessions begin every month.
- Introduction to Microsoft Word 2019/Office 365 - Learn the foundational skills needed to utilize Microsoft Word 2019 in Office 365. This course will teach you how to create professional-looking letters, reports and documents.
- Introduction to Microsoft PowerPoint 2019/Office 365 - This course is perfect for beginners wanting to learn how to effectively use Microsoft PowerPoint 2019 to create professional presentations.
- Introduction to Microsoft Excel 2019/Office 365 - If you work with data of any kind, knowing how to create a spreadsheet is key to effectively managing and organizing information. This course will introduce you to Microsoft Excel 2019 and teach you how to use this powerful software.
- Microsoft Excel - Pivot Tables - Master all the features of Excel pivot tables, including little-known options and settings, layouts, calculated fields, multi- level subtotals, Pivot Charts, Timelines and Slicers.
- Introduction to Microsoft Project 2019/Office 365 - Discover how to effectively plan and implement projects using the world's most popular project management. software, Microsoft Project 2019.
- Introduction to QuickBooks 2019 - This course will introduce you to QuickBooks 2019 and teach you the ins and outs of this widely used accounting software.
- Introduction to Photoshop CS6 - Learn how to use Photoshop CS6, the world's best graphics program for photographers, to edit photos and create original images.