Books by Mail Service
What is Books by Mail
Books by Mail is a service that provides patrons access to library materials through delivery by the United States Postal Service. This is a FREE service for all who qualify.
Any patron who lives in the Lorain Public Library System service area that is aged 60 and over and/or has difficulty or is unable to get to one of our branches qualifies for our Books by Mail program. The Lorain Public Library System service area includes: Avon, Camden Township, Columbia Township, Eaton Township within the Columbia Local School District, Henrietta Township, Kipton Village, Lorain, North Ridgeville, Sheffield Lake, Sheffield Township, and Sheffield Village.
Please download and fill out the Preference Sheet. This will give us information to select items for you based on your preferences OR you can make specific requests in the following ways:
- Write your requests on the request form provided with every mailing, then send it in the red bag with your return items.
- Email your requests to Outreach.Services@lpls.info.
- Call Books by Mail at 440-244-1192 ext. 8277
- Request materials online through our website and Clevnet by having your requested items sent to LORAIN/Bookmobile.
Materials are shipped in red, zippered, canvas bags. Patrons do not have to be home to receive the bags. The bags are not waterproof and cannot be left out in wet weather. Zip ties are included to seal the bag on return to prevent loss or theft of the materials. When returning please remember to turn over the address label so the return address is visible. Fragile items like DVDs and CDs are shipped inside bubble wrap bags and must be returned in this way to prevent damage.
Five Week Lending Period
The lending period for Books by Mail is five (5) weeks. This includes time of shipping. A due date slip is included inside every bag shipped. Bags must be mailed back before the due date in order to arrive at the library on time. Patrons must contact Books by Mail if they wish to renew any items.
Using LPLS Branches
While utilizing Books by Mail, patrons are not permitted to check out items at any library location. However, they may attend library programs.
Please complete and return the following items to enroll:
- Books by Mail Application.
- Materials Preference Sheet
- Free Matter Postal Provisions/Certificate of Disability form (If Applicable)
- Request form (Provided with every mailing)
Mail completed forms to:
Lorain Public Library System
Attn: Books by Mail
351 W. 6th St. Lorain, OH 44052