Passport Services


The Avon and North Ridgeville branches of the Lorain Public Library System accept passport applications on behalf of the U.S. Department of State. LPLS is the first library in Lorain County to offer one-stop passport application processing. Form execution ($35) and photo services ($11), paid separately, will be provided by appointment during regular hours.

"Adding this feature at two of our locations is a natural next step in our mission to serve the community,” LPLS Director Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz commented. “Patrons come to the library for a world of information such as taking out travel books, learning languages and increasing avenues of understanding to other cultures. Now, the library system can help them actually travel abroad.”

Passport Center Location and Service Hours

The Avon Branch (37485 Harvest Drive, Avon, OH 44011, 440-934-4743)

Hours: 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
            Noon to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday
           10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday
           10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday
           Closed Sunday

The North Ridgeville Branch (35700 Bainbridge Road, North Ridgeville, OH 44039, 440-327-8326)

Hours: 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
            10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday
             1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday (October - May) 
You may call during these hours to make an appointment.

Apply for a Passport

If this is your first passport, you'll need to apply in person. When applying for a passport in person, you need to submit:

  • A completed (unsigned) application for passport filled out in black ink. Forms are available at for download or may be picked up at the Avon or North Ridgeville Branch libraries.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Current proof of identity
  • One passport photo


Different passport fees may apply. Some fees are paid directly to the U.S. Department of State and others are paid directly to LPLS. We advise you to call ahead to the Avon or North Ridgeville Branch before you visit to determine your correct fees. 

  • When applying for a new passport, a check (personal, certified, cashier's, traveler's) or money order must accompany the passport application, made payable to the "U.S. Department of State".
  • Expedited two- to three-week service will require an additional fee to the "U.S. Department of State".
  • There is a $35 Execution Fee for each new passport, payable by cash, personal check or money order to the Lorain Public Library System.
  • A passport photo fee of $11, is payable by cash, check or money order to the Lorain Public Library System.
  • Credit and debit cards CANNOT be accepted

Passport Renewal

If you are renewing an expired adult passport issued within the last 15 years, you will have to apply by mail.  Renewal forms are available online at

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information about costs, U.S. Citizenship, proof of identity requirements or to download applications, visit the U.S. Department of State travel website,, or call the National Passport Center, 877-487-2778. The U.S. Department of State has the sole responsibility for examining applications and issuing passports.

How long does it take to receive my passport?
Routine application processing takes four to six weeks. Expedited service is available for an additional fee, which reduces the processing time to as little as two to four weeks.

Where can I get a copy of my birth certificate?
If you were born in Lorain County, Ohio, visit the Lorain County Public Health Birth Certificates page. Or if you were born in another county visit the state Department of Health’s Vital Records page. If you were born in another state, visit the CDC’s page with links to each state’s vital records contact information and website.

Can I get a passport for my child?

  • For all children under age 16: Children must accompany you to apply for a passport.
  • All applications for children under 16 require both parents or legal guardians to be present during the application process. 
  • Birth certificates must be submitted for all children showing parental relationship (even if the child has had a previous passport).
  • For all children age 16 to 17: The minor must appear in person.

Where can I get information about the status of my application?
Status information is available through the National Passport Center, 877-487-2778.

Can I apply for a visa at the library?
Passport application acceptance agencies do not handle visas. A visa is an endorsement or stamp placed by officials of a foreign country on a U.S. passport that allows the bearer to visit that foreign country. Foreign entry requirements vary by country. See the Special Issuance Agency page for information.