Temporary LPLS Protocols for Safety
Lorain Public Library System has reopened our six branches to the public.
In order to make our libraries safe for everyone, we have made some changes. We ask that you please read and understand the new protocols in order to make your library visits pleasant and simple. We ask for your flexibility and patience as we do all we can to make everything as safe and easy as possible for both our staff and our patrons.
Our hours are 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday. All branches will remain closed on Sunday until further notice.
Any patron, age 60 or older, living in Avon, Camden Township, Columbia Township,Eaton Township (the area in the Columbia Local School District), Henrietta Township, Kipton Village, Lorain, North Ridgeville, Sheffield Lake, Sheffield Township or Sheffield Village also qualifies for our free Books by Mail program. If you would like more information about this service, click here and select Books by Mail option.
Inside the Library:
- Everyone, even those that have been fully vaccinated, is required to wear a mask over both their mouth and nose for the duration of their time inside the library. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2. Our Board adopted this Pandemic Safety amendment to the Code of Conduct on May 21, 2020: "According to Ohio's Stay Safe Ohio Order issued on April 30, 2020, face coverings are strongly recommended for people who can safely wear them. For the safety of patrons and staff, the Library will require patrons to wear a mask/face covering when entering a library building when a public health emergency has been declared in Ohio. If a visitor objects to doing so due to health/disability or religious reasons, a reasonable accommodation to provide library services will be made."
- If you do not wish to wear a mask, you are able to receive library materials via curbside pickup* or at the recently installed hold lockers outside our Main, South Lorain, North Ridgeville and Avon branches.
- The library has a limited number of masks to supply to those that do not have one.
- Please utilize the hand sanitizer station upon entry.
- Maintain six feet of distance between yourself and others.
- Occupancy is limited based on the square footage of the building.
- Food and drink are prohibited inside the library.
- Public computers are available and have been rearranged to allow for social distancing.
- Staff assistance is limited in order to maintain social distance.
- Please do not re-shelve items. If you change your mind about an item simply place it on the provided cart at the end of the aisle.
- Meeting rooms are temporarily not available for reservation.
- The children’s play areas are temporarily closed, and the toys have been removed for safety.
- In-person indoor programs have been postponed.
Picking up Holds:
Once you receive notice that your holds are available, bring your library card and pick them up via:
- Curbside or walkup service*
- Exterior holds lockers at Main, South Lorain, North Ridgeville and Avon branches
- Contactless pickup inside the library via self holds pickup and self-checkout
- Assistance from a staff member at the circulation desk – please hold your library card up so that the barcode can be scanned.
Please return materials into the book drops. Staff cannot take materials from you. This includes curbside and walkup patrons – please utilize the book drops for returned materials.
A Note About Cleaning Items:
If you feel you need to clean an item once you have checked it out, please do not use disinfectant wipes. They are too harsh for many of our materials and may cause damage.
These items can be wiped down with rubbing alcohol:
- Hardback books
- Board books
- Books with plastic covers
- CD cases and both sides of the CD
- DVD cases and both sides of the DVD
Please avoid the barcode when wiping down materials. It makes it unreadable to our scanners. Please do not soak materials or get pages wet.
For specific questions, please email AskALibrarian@lpls.info or call your local branch during regular business hours.
*For more information on curbside service, click here.