Part-Time, Library Associate I - Public Services, Avon Branch
Performs paraprofessional library tasks in the public library system.
Distinguishing Features of the Class:
This classification requires the application of elementary principles of library and information science. Employees assigned to this class perform some of the duties that are done by beginning level Librarians and may oversee the work of Library Assistants. The distinguishing feature of this class is that the duties include direct public service reference and information responsibility, and planning and presenting programs to the public. Librarians are available for assistance on difficult problems or situations.
Characteristic duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists patrons on the selection, organization and interpretation of library materials.
- Answers reference questions in person or by telephone and conducts the needed research involved.
- Conducts education and training of patrons and patron groups.
- Reads and evaluates reviews and recommends materials for selection; continually reviews collection for the purpose of removing old or infrequently used materials. Participates in materials selection for one or more subject fields.
- Monitors and suggests corrections to the online catalog. Plans and presents programs for children and adults.
- Gives book talks to library and to civic groups and writes book reviews.
- Attends professional meetings, pertinent workshops and serves on system-wide and professional committees.
- Plans and prepares displays, bulletin boards, bibliographies, and webliographies.
- May coordinate literacy program for adults.
- May select books for rotating collections, home bound, nursing homes, books by mail, agencies, or other libraries.
- May provide services to special populations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Knowledge of paraprofessional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures; knowledge of reader interest levels; tact and courtesy; ability to work in a team environment; sound judgment.
Education, Training and Experience:
Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent and up to six months of related experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Supervisor: Librarian Supervisor- Avon Branch
Other: Part-time position, 27 hours per week. $16.165 per hour; Limited benefits. Schedule will include daytime, evening and weekend hours (including Sundays), and may include six-day workweeks and split shifts. Bachelor's degree required. Good knowledge of library book collection. Good knowledge of popular reading interests and materials for adults and children required. Ability to do creative book and bulletin board displays and write book reviews. Detail oriented program planning experience and story time experience with children of all ages desired.Will plan and present programs for children and families on a regular basis as well as some teen, senior and community programs. Good computer knowledge. Excellent customer service skills required.
Closing Date for Internal Applications: 5:00 P.M. Monday, January 8, 2018
Closing Date for External Applications: Until filled.
Apply To: Anastasia Diamond-Ortiz, Director, Lorain Public Library System, 351 Sixth Street, Lorain, OH 44052
*LPLS EMPLOYEES MAY APPLY IN WRITING TO THE DIRECTOR PER ARTICLE VII OF THE CBA.
EEO/AA/EQUAL ACCESS AGENCY