CIRCULATION POLICIES (2013-3-21 REV) 5.01
LIBRARY CARD ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- All Ohio residents are eligible for a free Lorain Public Library System card.
- Cards are issued for one year and must be renewed every year.
- Library cards are not renewed for borrowers who have outstanding fines, fees, or unreturned overdue items.
- The following rules apply in order to have a library card issued:
- Children up through 8th grade must have the signature of a parent or a guardian on the registration form. Parents must be present to provide identification and verification of address.
- Adults, and children who do not need a parent’s signature, must provide photo identification and current, permanent address. (A post office box is not an acceptable form of identification). A birth date is required.
- Children 9th grade and above, who do not have photo identification must have a signature of parent or guardian on the registration form. Parents must be present to provide identification and verification of address.
- A person must be 18 years of age to borrow art prints.
- An active LPLS, GAC or CLEVNET card with the borrower's current name will be honored at any LPLS agency.
- A registered borrower must present an active LPLS, GAC or CLEVNET card in order to charge out items.
- A patron is responsible for all items checked out using his/her borrower’s card. A patron must report the loss or theft of his/her library card immediately.
Patrons will be assessed fees for all lost or damaged materials.
The fee for replacement of a lost card will be $1.00.
If a lost item is returned within six (6) months of payment, a refund will be given less a $5.00 processing fee (receipt required).
Debt Collections: A delinquent account may be sent to a collection agency. If your delinquent account is sent to a collection agency you will also be charged an additional fee.
Some current issues may not be borrowed. Practices vary throughout the system. Check with Circulation staff for details.
Upon presentation of a valid library card a borrower may take out ten (10) video titles or DVD titles per valid library card.
Upon presentation of a valid library card, a borrower may take out two (2) video game titles per valid library card. No reserves may be placed on video games and items may not be renewed.
Framed Art Prints:
Borrowers may have no more than two framed art prints checked out at one time. Borrowers must be 18 years or older.
Interlibrary Loans Fees:
Any charge levied by the lending library or agency shall be paid by the borrower.
Ohio Obituary Index:
It costs $2.50 per name to order an obituary and is limited to ten names per transaction with fees payable in advance. $1.00 per page will be assessed per page for photocopies from the LPLS collection.
The Library charges a fee of $2.50 per obituary or other microfilm/book information lookup request that is to be copied and mailed/emailed to the requester. An additional fee of $10.00 is charged if the requester expressed an urgent need to have the information provided within 48 hours of the Library’s receipt of the information request.
The Library accepts reserves and inter-library loans for any materials except those designated “no hold.”
Items, except for DVDs, videos, and video games, may have five (5) renewals provided there are no reserves waiting. Except for new DVDs, all DVDs and videos may have two (2) renewals, provided that there are no reserves waiting for the item. Video games may not be renewed.
Framed art prints may have two (2) renewals.
Bookmobile items, except for DVDs and videos, may have two (2) renewals provided there are not any reserves waiting.
Patrons may renew items by telephone, Internet and in person without bringing the items into the library, provided that the borrower’s account is not delinquent, the items to be renewed are not overdue, there are no outstanding requests on the items, and providing that the Circulation System is not down.
Golden Buckeye Cards:
Borrowers with Golden Buckeye cards will not be charged fines on overdue print materials and compact discs. However, card holders will be charged fines on overdue DVDs and videos and the value of damaged or lost items.
Suspension of Borrowing Privileges:
Borrowing privileges may be suspended for card holders whose fines exceed $10.00.
LOAN PERIODS, FINES, FEES & MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
|Material||Loan Period||Overdue Fines*|
|Books**||21 days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Magazines**||7 days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Pamphlets**||21 days||$0.01/day, per item|
|Pictures||21 days||$0.01/day, per item|
|Audiobooks (any format)||21 days||$0.10/day, per item|
|New DVDs||7 days||$1.00/day, per item|
|DVDs and Videos||7 days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Video Games||7 days||$1.00/day, per item|
|Multi-Media kits||7 days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Compact Discs||21 Days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Slides; Slide/Cassette||21 Days||$0.10/day, per set|
|CD-ROM Discs||21 Days||$0.10/day, per item|
|Framed Art Print (Limit Two)||21 Days||$0.25/day, per item|
*Sundays are not considered in computing fines for overdue materials. Maximum overdue fine is $3.00 per item.
**Fines do not accumulate on children’s books, magazines, and pamphlets. However, a billing notice is sent for items which are more than 42 days overdue. Items not returned at that point are then considered lost in circulation and the borrower will be billed for the cost of the item. This may result in the borrower’s account becoming delinquent.
OUTREACH SERVICES: LOAN PERIODS, FINES, FEES & MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION
|Type of Service||Materials||Loan Period||Fines|
|Books by Mail||Books
Videos (VHS & DVD)
|35 Days||No Charge|
Videos (VHS & DVD)
|14 Days||No Charge|