Free Online Courses through the Lorain Public Library System
Learning has never been so easily accessible!
Introducing: Gale Courses!
Gale Courses offers educational opportunities through hundreds of meaningful classes for professional and personal enrichment.
Lorain Public Library System (LPLS) is now offering our cardholders free access to engaging online instructor-led Gale courses spanning training in computers, Microsoft programs like Excel and Word, website creation, creative and grant writing, accounting, medical terminology, business creation and more!
Whether you’re seeking new skills to advance in your career or knowledge for your own personal enrichment, Gale Courses offers relevant classes, and they’re free for LPLS library cardholders.
Courses are available in the following categories:
- Accounting and finance
- Computer applications
- Design and composition
- Health care and medical
- Language and arts
- Law and legal
- Personal development
- Teaching and education
- Writing and publishing
Sessions begin every month and run for six weeks, with two new lessons released weekly. Many courses are taught by college instructors. The lessons are accessible 24/7 and include interaction with the instructor as well as fellow students, assignments and quizzes.
Access courses covering dozens of timely topics:
- Career education includes courses tied to the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ fastest-growing occupations.
- Entrepreneurs benefit from grant writing, start-up and marketing courses.
- Computer courses suit skill levels from beginner to advanced.
- Courses in parenting, the arts and health enrich lives and families.
Expand your horizons, supersize your brainpower and enrich your life. Enroll in a Gale course and dazzle your mind! All you need is your LPLS library card.
How to Enroll
- Click on Gale Courses in the eLibrary on LorainPublicLibrary.org.
- Once you are on the Gale Courses Web page, find courses by browsing through the categories on the left of the screen. You can also use the search bar toward the top of the page.
- Click the enroll now button next to the course of your choice.
- Select your course start date and click continue.
- Create a free Gale Courses account, or sign in to an existing Gale Courses or ed2go account.
New students – Enter your email address in the new student area and click the create account button. Complete the account and student information on the next page and then click continue.
Returning students – Enter your email and password and then click the login button.
You will use your Gale Courses account email and password to log in to the “My Classroom” area to view your lessons once your session begins.
- Enter your library bar code in the appropriate box. Then click the use library card button to complete your enrollment.
Students who have enrolled in a course must log in and view lessons one and two within 13 days after the start date of the course, or they will be automatically dropped. Students who are dropped from a course will be able to enroll in the course during a later session.
The following courses have a required book list: Explore a Career in Medical Coding, LSAT Preparation, PMP® Certification Prep and SAT/ACT Preparation.
Starting a Course
After 3 a.m. on the day that your course starts, click on Gale Courses in the eLibrary on LorainPublicLibrary.org. Once there, select “My Classroom” from the top of the page. Sign in and you’ll be able to enter the online classroom to begin your studies.