Mark Nesbitt was born in 1949 in Lorain. He graduated from Lorain High School in 1967 and from Baldwin College in 1971. He moved to Gettysburg, PA, to work for the U.S. Park Service in 1972 where he worked as a National Park Service Ranger/Historian. He started his own research and writing company in 1977 and did research and advertising copy for some of America's best historical artists. Beginning in 1978 he began writing books, including If the South Won Gettysburg (1980), 35 Days to Gettysburg (1992), Rebel Rivers (1993), Saber and Scapegoat: J.E.B. Stuart and the Gettysburg Controversy (1994), Through Blood and Fire (1996), and the best selling Ghosts of Gettysburg Series (1991- present).
Many of his stories have been seen, and/or heard, on The History Channel, A&E, The Travel Channel, Unsolved Mysteries, Coast to Coast AM, and numerous other local television programs and specials. In July of 2004, his Ghosts of Gettysburg Series received the National Paranormal Award for “Best True Hauntings Collection” and “Best ‘Local Haunt’ Guidebook”.
He left the park service in 1976 and has published twelve books including the "Ghosts of Gettysburg" series which have been turned into programs seen on A&E, The History Channel, and Unsolved Mysteries and Sightings. He started his own freelance writing and research business in 1977. He is currently working on writing novels.
- If the South Won Gettysburg (1980)
- Ghosts of Gettysburg : Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield.(1991).
- More Ghosts of Gettysburg : Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield. (1992.)
- 35 Days to Gettysburg : The Campaign Diaries of To American Enemies. (1992)
- Rebel Rivers : A Guide to Civil War Sites on the Potomac, Rappahannock, York, and James. (1993)
- Saber and Scapegoat : J.E.B. Stuart and the Gettysburg controversy. (1994).
- Ghosts of Gettysburg III : Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield.(1995)
- Through Blood & Fire : Selected Civil War papers of Major General Joshua Chamberlain. (1996)
- Ghosts of Gettysburg IV : Spirits, Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield.(1998)
- Ghosts of Gettysburg V : Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield. (2000)
- Ghosts of Gettysburg VI: Apparitions and Haunted Places of the Battlefield (2004)
- The Ghost Hunter's Field Guide: Gettysburg and Beyond (2005)
- Haunted Pennsylvania: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Keystone State (2006)
Ghosts of Gettysburg - the original tours based on the books by Mark Nesbitt.